Saturday, May 11, 2013


Week 8:

Hey friends,
Well, the time has come.  About to say bye to 'Murica for the next 22 months.  We got our travel plans last Friday, and they were beautiful.  We will be flying out of SLC on Monday around 9, then we have a 1 hour layover in New York, and then we go straight to Moscow.  Honestly it is hard to describe how excited I am.  It is getting real, and soon I get to do real missionary work, so pumped.  We have spent a lot of time talking about culture and the Russian people lately, and it's weird to say but I already love them.  Every time my teachers talk about experiences they had or things the people they knew in Russia did it makes me just want to be Russian.  We also learned a really famous russian folk song called Катюша (kaht -tue-sha) that is so awesome.  It was written during World War 2, and it just makes me happy, we walk around the MTC just belting it in the thickest accent and deepest voice that we can.  Oh and the way to say sick or awesome in Russia is круто (kroota) which literally means steep, I think we should bring that to America.  Like, hey bro, that shirt is steep.  I dunno, could catch on. Gonna be eating, breathing, and sleeping the culture soon, and I am super excited for that.  It is a little sad leaving the MTC, in that I've made a lot of friends here most of which I will probably never see again.  Our district is all St. Petersburg except for me and my comp, but I have made some friends that are going to Moscow.  One of them has three toes.  Funny story, his foot got run over by a lawn mower, and so they took his stomach skin and grafted it onto his foot, so his heel has a happy trail.  Heh. Anatomicaly speaking he should not be able to walk, he's got like half a foot, and not very much of an achilles tendon, but you can't even tell.  I found out like three days ago, and I've been playing soccer with him for a couple weeks now, and he is one of the fastest kids out there.  Pretty neat.  So yeah, I will miss some of these people, but I'm ready to make some more friends out in the field.  We don't know like any Russian, but we gonna learn pretty quick here.  I don't know how I will be handling all the freedom.  I have been confined to the same small campus for 2 months now, eating the same food, having the same schedule.  I wonder if my body will go into shock or something when I leave.  Really strange time.   Oh we had Chad Lewis (old player for the Eagles that jumps over people) come talk to us, and he was awesome.  Just got me super excited for the mish, he served in Taiwan and it is amazing how much his mission shaped his life.  He covered the Superbowl in Chinese but he only knew how to say church words so he, and I quote, "Testified that Tom Brady was throwing true passes".  We all thought that was pretty funny.  I don't really know what to say right now, my brains kind of everywhere cuz I'm leaving.  I guess I'm just really happy to be able to do this because not everyone gets to, and I want all you people back home to know that I love you and I'll miss you while I'm in the Motherland, sidenote they don't call it the motherland they call it the nativeland.  It's a funny job we have as missionaries, we go to places we aren't used to, in my case where they won't even be able to understand me, and we hand over to complete strangers the thing that is most important and personal to us, and then we just leave it up to them whether or not they want it.  But it is worth it when people who need it and are ready for it get it, that is what I've picked up during this whole thing.  It's a weird job, but it's also the most important one I've ever had.   Alright, I'll talk to you guys next week.  G2g 2 Russia, brb.#mission
-Старейшина холланд
 
Russian word of the week:  калдун (kaldoon) - wizard




No comments:

Post a Comment